There are many national and local organisations in the UK offering opportunities to enjoy Early Dance. The EDC produce a Diary of Early Dance Events which lists Regular Classes at Home and Abroad; Workshops and Performances; and Summer Schools. Published three times a year, copies are free to members.
There is also a comprehensive list of Early Dance Groups on the website of the Historical Dance Society (HDS, formerly the Dolmetsch Historical Dance Society).
- The Calendar of Early Dance
Calendar of early dance events worldwide. Also includes links to many other websites and groups.
- An American Ballroom Companion – Dance Instruction Manuals ca 1490-1920
Facsimiles of books on dance from the US Library of Congress. Also includes an introductory essay giving an overview of the history of western social dance, video clips of reconstructed dances, and text versions of many of the manuals.
- Dance Books
UK-based online bookshop selling many books on dance history and early dance.
- Big Dance 2006-2016
Choreographic resources from each edition of the Big Dance.
- Early Music Today
An early music magazine.
- One Dance UK. One Dance UK is the lead industry body formed of the merger in April 2016 of four key dance organisations: Association of Dance of the African Diaspora (ADAD), Dance UK, National Dance Teachers Association (NDTA) and Youth Dance England (YDE). One Dance is now the Subject Assocation for dance in education. http://www.onedanceuk.org/
- Historical Dance Society http://www.historicaldance.org.uk/
- Renaissance Dance
Home of the Rendance mailing list. Also includes background information about Renaissance dance.
- SCA Renaissance Dance Homepage
Extensive pages of the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA). Includes background information, primary sources, analysis and links.
An HTML transcription of Arbeau’s _Orchesoraphie_ (1589).
English Country Dance:
- The Dancing Master, 1651-1728: An Illustrated Compendium
Database of dances in the various editions of The (English) Dancing Master.
- ECD – The English Country Dance Mailing List
Active mailing list covering ECD in modern and historical contexts. Also includes background information.
- VWML – The Vaughan Williams Memorial Library
A collection of dance and tune books from the English Folk Dance and Song Society (EFDSS).
A collection of historical tune books, mostly English Country Dance.
- Matt’s Baroque Dance Pages
Informal Baroque dance site including an extensive collection of links and HTML versions of some dancing manuals.
- Feuillet – The Baroque Dance Mailing List
Low traffic mailing list mostly used for announcements, but other relevant content is welcome.
Animated dances and research papers covering Regency era dancing.
- Regency Dancing links collection
Other Link Collections:
- Historical Dance Society (formerly the Dolmetsch Historical Dance Society): Links
- Dance Symposium at New College, University of Oxford
- Dance schools on the net
Find a dance school. Worldwide dance schools directory.
- The Language of Dance Trust
The Language of Dance Trust promotes the use of Motif Notation as a way to create and explore movement.